Each of our student-applicants has a unique history that is considered in the approval process.
1. AFFCF’s primary criterion is that the student-applicant was a ward of the State of Arizona when they turned 18 years of age, that is, the student was not adopted, awarded permanent guardianship or reunited with his/her biological parents prior to aging out of the Department of Child Safety’s care. Prospective students who signed a voluntary with DCS past their 18th birthday are also eligible.
2. AFFCF will not consider first-time applicants older than 24 years of age.
3. In order to be accepted into the program and remain eligible for a renewal each semester, students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
4. Scholarships are available for a total of 10 semesters and are renewable on a semester-by-semester basis.
5. University applicants are eligible to receive awards up to $5,000 per academic year ($2,500 per semester). To be eligible for the maximum university award, students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
6. Community College and Vocational/Trade School awards are provided for the duration of the specific program, not to exceed five years. The maximum award for these programs is $1,000 per semester. AFFCF funds two semesters per academic year for a total of $2,000 per academic year.
7. Eligibility for scholarships is ongoing for 10 semesters, unless a student takes a hiatus from coursework, not to exceed more than two semesters. Each continuing recipient must provide specific documents each semester before AFFCF will disburse their academic scholarship award. A student who has more than two consecutive semesters of academic inactivity will automatically be dropped from eligibility.
8. AFFCF will not fund retakes of failed or withdrawn coursework.
9. Students who have a chronic history of failing or withdrawing from courses will be put on a probationary status for a period of two semesters. Scholarship eligibility will be reviewed at the beginning of each semester.
10. Submitting an application is not a guarantee of approval.
The deadlines for the Fall 2018 semester are as follows:
FIRST-TIME APPLICANTS – July 13, 2018
Completed application packet consists of the fully completed scholarship application and all supplemental documentation listed on the last page of the application.
RETURNING SCHOLARS – July 6, 2018
Renewal documentation to submit must include a copy of your current Spring 2018 grades, confirmation of class registration for Fall 2018, an updated financial aid report from your academic institution and your updated contact information.
Please check back for more specific deadline dates. Thank you!