Each of our student-applicants has a unique history that is considered in the approval process.
1. AFFCF’s primary criterion is that the student-applicant was a ward of the State of Arizona when they turned 18 years of age, that is, the student was not adopted, awarded permanent guardianship or reunited with his/her biological parents prior to aging out of the Department of Child Safety’s care. Prospective students who signed a voluntary with DCS past their 18th birthday are also eligible.
2. AFFCF will not consider first-time applicants older than 24 years of age.
3. In order to be accepted into the program and remain eligible for a renewal each semester, students must be enrolled in at least six credit hours per semester and mmaintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
4. Scholarships are available for a total of 10 semesters and are renewable on a semester-by-semester basis.
5. University applicants are eligible to receive awards up to $5,000 per calendar year ($2,500 per semester). To be eligible for the maximum university award, students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. Four-year college/university applicants with cumulative GPA’s between 2.0 and 2.5 are eligible to receive $2,000 per calendar year ($1,000 per semester).
6. Community college awards are provided for the duration of the specific program, not to exceed five years. The maximum award for these programs is $1,000 per semester. AFFCF funds two semesters per calendar year for a total of $2,000 per calendar year.
7. Eligibility for scholarships is ongoing for 10 semesters, unless a student takes a hiatus from coursework, not to exceed more than two semesters. Each continuing recipient must provide specific documents each semester before AFFCF will disburse their academic scholarship award. A student who has more than two consecutive semesters of academic inactivity will automatically be dropped from eligibility.
8. AFFCF will not fund retakes of failed or withdrawn coursework.
9. Students who have a chronic history of failing or withdrawing from courses will be put on a probationary status for a period of two semesters. Scholarship eligibility will be reviewed at the beginning of each semester.
10. Submitting an application is not a guarantee of approval.
The application and renewal periods for the Spring 2020 semester are as follows:
FIRST-TIME APPLICANTS: November 15 – December 15, 2019
Click here to apply. The last day for submission is December 15, 2019.
RETURNING SCHOLARS: December 15 – 31, 2019
Renewal documentation to submit must include a copy of your transcript showing your Fall 2019 grades, class registration for Spring 2020 semester (minimum enrollment of six credit hours required), an updated financial aid and contact information (if applicable). Click here to renew. The last day for submission is December 31, 2019.